Tuesday, September 12

This donor is going to jail

In 2004, the Bush/Cheney campaign had 327 donors called 'Pioneers' who pledged to raise at least $100,000 in bundled contributions. Tom Noe, a 51 year old coin dealer from Toledo, was sentenced today to 27 months in prison for his role in funneling money to his friends who later contributed it back to the president's campaign in order to help Noe meet his Pioneer pledge.

Noe told the judge he arranged the scheme because "in 2003 I was pressured by Bush-Cheney officials to become a Pioneer." However, federal prosecutors say Noe wanted perks such as invitations to the White House and the president's ranch in Texas, and he wanted to impress various state officials.

I know how he must have felt. In 9th grade, I was in the marching band and we needed to sell $500 in citrus fruit in order to go to Disney World. I was $75 dollars short in sales and begged my friends to buy my last 6 boxes of grapefruit. You might consider that "cutting corners," but what I did wasn't against the law.

No comments: